2014,  CP related,  crafts,  Uncategorized

Fabric Fun

On Saturday I went to a craft taster workshop on fabrics. If I’d been sensible and/or thought about it properly it probably would have occured to me that it wouldn’t be particularly good for my specific  CP. I’ve never been particularly sensible about such things so it never occurred to me. It wasn’t what I expect and I don’t think I’d go again. But I did manage to make something. A crap something, but something.

A big part of that was that a friend of mine had also gone and so was able to do needle threading, pinning of fabrics and little bits like that which I couldn’t. I also deliberate chose to use strips of ribbon because they didn’t require cutting (I don’t find using scissors as difficult as I used to but it’s not an easy thing for me – and cutting in straight lines is something I’ve yet to master on things that are any bigger than basically miniscule.)

Here are the work in progress pictures like I did for both the celtic clay and mosaic taster workshops I did

image

A rectangle of black felt with a bright pink ribbon sewed diagonally accross it.  I used a very messy running stitch, made no attempts at doing so equally or neatly and used a “contrasting thread” by which I mean one that was easy to see.

image
The same thing with a dark purple ribbon sewed diagonally on top the opposite way.

I really should have sewed along the middle and not around the edges.  That much sewing killed my hands. But rumour has it you’ve got to make things really secure. I don’t plan on a next time but if there were I’d overrule that with CP needs come first.

image
Then I added three vertical ribbons, bright purple on each edge and light pink in the middle.  I put a round black and silver patterned bead in the middle of each of the purple ribbons.  I put three sort of diamond shaped beads of the same design on the light pink one.
image
The incredibly messy and pretty tangled back of my work.  I carried my thread quite far in a few places to avoid having to tie it off/cut it/restart sewing.  Hence the mess!

image
The finished object was then mounted on a bigger piece light pink fabric which had been cut out with pinking shears to give it an interesting look.  The ribbons had also been trimmed to more uniform/sensible lenghts too. The person running the workshop did the cutting and sewing of that for me because my hands were done by the time I got to that.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *